An accident is the worst thing that could happen to a person. Not only is a road accident painful at a physical level, but also it can cause a lot of trauma. It disturbs you in every possible manner. On top of that, dealing with legal matters after an accident can give you sleepless nights, if you do not know what to do in such cases.
If the accident has been caused by you, then you do not have any choice but to deal with harsh legal matters. On the other hand, if you have been hit by a drunk driver during an accident, then you can seek compensation.
Laws in Australia are very strict when it comes to driving under the influence of alcohol. Not only drunk drivers who cause accident face criminal penalties, but also get sued in the civil court. All you need to do is contact qualified motor vehicle accident lawyers to help you file the case. You should know that injuries caused due to drunk driving are often the subject of civil suits in the country.
Drunk drivers can face a criminal penalty in addition to jail time, and many harsh punishments. You should talk to your lawyer and know about the possibilities. You have a good chance of winning a lawsuit, if you have been hit by a drunk driver. You will even get compensation for all your injuries resulted from the crash. In addition, you will be able to file a personal lawsuit for injury against that driver.
Things you should do after being hit by a drunk driver
- Without any delay, you should contact your lawyer to know about your preferences and points to win the lawsuit
- Even if the case is of alcohol-related accidents, you should go for insurance claims. Start by talking settlement with the driver’s insurance company.
- Wait till the police arrives and only observe the case until it is a medical emergency
Your legal preferences
- You can ask for full settlement and claim from the other party in case of drunk driver accidents in Australia. You can even file third-party claim against the car insurance company of the driver. You will be surprised to look at the settlement offer you will receive from the other party.
- If you have been victimized by a DUI accident, then remember that your case is going to be great. All the insurance companies in Australia know that if the case against their client goes to a trial then to the jury in order to decide on a monetary award, then they will have to pay a huge sum as compensation.
- Check if your state comes under no-fault car insurance rules. If yes, then your options will be limited. In that case, you will have to turn to your own PIP coverage to pay for your own medical bills.
There are many rules and preferences applicable in drunk driver accident cases in the country. It is better to seek a lawyer’s help in such matters.