Cancer is one of the deadliest diseases on the planet. Everybody is familiar with the term; however, very few know what cancer is all about. It is nothing but the condition when the human body is attacked by a group of more than a hundred different diseases. A couple of decades ago, cancer was considered to be untreatable. However, these days, thanks to modern medicine and technology, most of the cancers can be treated as long as they are detected at an early stage. When it comes to cancer treatment, there are different methods which are being used. Researchers from all over the world are working relentlessly to find out new means and methods to treat cancer.
What Leads to Cancer?
The human body is made up of cells. Cells tend to divide and multiply in order to create new cells as the body requires them. Usually, when cells grow how old are they get damaged, they tend to die. New cells replace the dead cells. Cancer is being initiated when this orderly process is interfered by genetic changes.
It is a stage when cells will start growing uncontrollably. Usually, these growing cells combine together to form a tumor. A tumor can be malignant or benign. When it comes to a malignant tumor, it indicates that it can grow further and spread to other parts of the body. As far as a benign tumor is concerned, it can only grow. It is not capable of spreading to other parts of the body.
What are the Different types of Cancers?
The type of cancer is determined based on its source. Usually, there are four main types of cancers:
- Carcinomas: A carcinoma forms in the tissues and the skin which cover the surface of the internal glands and organs. Usually, solid tumors are formed by carcinoma. These are the most common type of cancers. Some of the examples of carcinoma cancer are breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, and lung cancer
- Sarcomas: This type of cancer forms in those tissues which connects and support the human body. As far as a Sarcoma is concerned, it can develop in muscles, fat, tendons, blood vessels, cartilage and even the bones of the human body
- Leukemias: This type of cancer is nothing but blood cancer. It starts when healthy blood cells start changing and grows beyond control. There are four main types of Leukemia. They are:
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia, and
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Lymphomas: This is a type of cancer which has its source in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system in the human body is nothing but a network of glands and vessels which help to fight against various kinds of infections. There are primarily two different kinds of lymphomas
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
How does Cancer Spread and Grow?
As the malignant tumors grow, the lymphatic system or the bloodstream carries the cancer cells to different parts of the body. This is a process which is known as metastasis. It is during this process the cells of cancer tend to grow and can also give birth to new tumors which are malignant in nature.