Stem Cell Osteoarthritis Treatment Is A Blessing For Many
Stem cell therapy is being applied for the treatment of several diseases like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, neurologic disorders like Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure, auto immune hepatitis also known as Crohn’s disease, erectile dysfunction and also for loss of hair lichen sclerosis as well as diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentos and macular degeneration. But the chunk of success has come from the treatment of joints all over the body. From hands, knees, back and shoulder, there is a procedure available for treating joint pain resulting from osteoarthritis.
People suffering from osteoarthritis who have not found enough response from available drug therapy stand to gain a lot from stem cell osteoarthritis therapy. The use of adult stem cells for various indications is still in the investigating stages but as per data available the results are very encouraging. The risks involved in the procedure are minimal that can be applied under local anesthetics with patients being able to function normally during the procedure. There are no major incidences of complications recorded so far and it is almost a harmless procedure except for a light swelling and bruising in the area from where fat is extracted. Stem cell therapy for osteoarthritis can be the answer to knee replacement surgeries. In the US, 140 patients who have been treated for 5 years bear testimony to the claim.
How it Works
The pain of arthritis arises from deterioration of cartilage, a slippery but firm tissue that keeps the joint lubricated, facilitating frictionless motion. Osteoarthritis makes the surface of cartilage rough and eventually if the cartilage wears out, there will be no joint lubrication but rubbing of one bone against another will cause pain. Stem cell treatment comprises of injecting stem cells in the affected areas so that new cartilage cells are grown and lubrication and cushioning effect of the joints are restored. The natural anti inflammatory properties of stem cells reduce swelling and pain in the affected joint.
Relief from Varied Complications
The following complications are successfully tackled by stem cell osteoarthritis treatment and the patient gets considerable relief.
- Swelling – Osteoarthritis is accompanied by swelling of joints as patients feel sore and tender, finding it difficult to fold the joint.
- Pain – Aching joints or a sharp and burning pain are early symptoms of arthritis. Feeling the pain while sleeping and continuous pain are indications of worsening of the disease.
- Deformed joints – In the advanced stages of arthritis, joints can get deformed and acquire a different shape.
- Muscle weakness – Muscles around the joint especially knee joint tend to become weak due to arthritis.
- Restricted movement – You may be completely unable to extend and bend your joints and can become completely immobile by acute arthritis.
- Stiffness – Joints become stiff and getting out of bed in the morning can be painful, which may recover after a short time.
Stem cell therapy is yet to be recognized as a medical treatment procedure by the FDA and other regulatory agencies and does not qualify for medical insurance coverage.