Reasons To Visit Jodhpur
Discover the heart of India, Jodhpur. The second largest city in Rajasthan is rich in history and ethnicity. It is one of the most beautiful and visited places by tourist in India. The bright sunny weather gives it a nickname known as the Sun City and the blue painted houses around the Mehrangarh Fort give it the Blue City nickname. Did you know that Jodhpur was founded in 1459 by Rao Jodha? This city is famous for forts and lavish palaces, which have historic stories attached to them. Here are some reasons to visit Jodhpur…
- Mehrangarh Fort: This fort should make it to the top of your list of places to see in Jodhpur. It is one of the largest forts in India. It stands 400 feet above the city! Rao Jodha constructed this fort in 1459 AD and ever since it remains as a charm of this place. The styles of architect represent different and various periods. The fort symbolises power and is worth visiting.
- Jaswant Thada: This was built in the memory of Maharaja Jaswant Singh. The Jaswant Thada is close to the Mehrangarh fort. The way the carvings and marble constructions are enchanting and attractive. The ground has a stunning garden, pond and gazebos. The view of this palace from the fort is breath-taking.
- Balsamand Lake: This artificial lake was constructed in 1159 AD by Balak Rao Parihar. The lavish greenery surrounding the lake has several groves of different fruits like mangoes, papayas, plums, guavas and others. This lake palace was made to serve as a summer resort for royal families. The lawns and gardens have birds and peacocks. The entire place is exclusive and marvellous.
- Kailana Lake: This is yet another artificial lake created by Pratap Singh in 1872. If you are a bird watcher, then this is your paradise. You will see a lot of different birds here. You could sail on a boat to get a better view and do not miss out on the sunset!
- Umaid Bhawan Palace: The construction of this masterpiece started in 1929 and completed by 1943. The 347-roomed massive palace is one of the largest and lavish private residences in the world. The palace has European and Indian styled architecture, which makes it traditional yet modern. A part of the palace serves as a residence to the former royal family while the other parts are converted into the Taj Palace Hotel and a museum.
- Clock tower: This is a famous landmark in the city. It was made by Maharaja Sardar Singh between 1880 and 1911. It offers a good view of the fort and you can find the Sardar Market, which is adjacent to the clock tower. You will find a lot of ethnic things in this famous market. There are about 8000 shops in the market.
There are a lot of other well-known destinations in Jodhpur. You will explore many sites while travelling around in the Blue City. Do buy some memorable handicrafts and jewellery while in the place. Get your train tickets today and also call for train food parcel for a long train journey.
Author: The author loves writing and exploring different cities in the country. Read some of her articles at travelkhana.